Sunday, March 27, 2011

Type 1 Diabetes

On February 11, 2011 I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Type 1 is the most rare form of diabetes. 90% of people with diabetes have type 2 so a lot of people automatically think I have type 2 also, but they are not the same. Type 1 used to be called juvenille diabetes because most people get it when they are kids.
I had been sick for a couple of weeks. I came home from school everyday and wanted to lay down and sleep or felt like I was going to throw up. My mom thought that I might just have strep until I started drinking a lot of water and going to the bathroom a lot. She took me to the doctor and they tested my blood sugar. It was so high that the meter didn't even register it. It just said, "high". I had also lost a lot of weight; at least 10 pounds. The doctor sent me to the hospital right away. I was scared and sad even though I didn't really know what diabetes was. My mom cried and I think that's why I felt sad. At the hospital they put 2 IV's in my arms. That was the hardest part about being in the hospital. My friends came to visit me and brought me things to keep myself busy. Josh brought me a scrabble game, Courtney brought me a bag full of sugar free candy and some drawing stuff, and Steven brought me a BYU basketball hoop (even though he is a Ute fan). My grandpa brought me a remote control helicopter that was a lot of fun to play with. I learned how to count carbs and give myself shots and was able to come home 1 day early. Now, I'm almost an expert!

No comments:

Post a Comment